Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Public Hearing Aug 7th - Yes that's tonight!

Come one. Come all. Let Fitchburg know that you care. Join the chorus (in or out of harmony). Make your voice heard!

This is your chance to comment on the current Long Term Growth Boundary sometimes called the 50-Year or Urban Growth Boundary. I know it's scary but someone has to think about the future. I wish my parents had thought about the future when they got me hooked on internal combustion engines and gadgets (just kidding -- I take full responsibility).

Now: To learn more about what the city’s current plans, go to http://www.city.fitchburg.wi.us/ and click on the link under Comprehensive Plan. Then, check out the Draft Urban Development Boundary Map to see what’s slated for development in the next 50+ years.

I don't like seeing the Northeast Neighborhood targeted for development along with many other rural areas. I think we need to preserve more land, protect more resources and treat the farmers fairly when we add or change rules. That's what I'll be talking about tonight. I hope to see (and hear) you there.

Tonight: Come to the Planning Commission meeting which begins at 7:00 pm in the Council Chamber at City Hall, 5520 Lacy Road. (If you leave now, you can still make it!)

Here is the agenda for the meeting: http://www2.city.fitchburg.wi.us/meetings/files/PLAN_080707_AG.pdf

Agenda item # 8 is a "Public Hearing regarding the draft amended long term growth boundary map in accord with R-30-07." You can register to speak but expect a 3 minute per person maximum. Please consider reading your remarks into the record at the Public Hearing so that everyone can benefit by hearing your concerns.

There are two other Public Hearings tonight so this might be a long one!

Agenda item #6 is for "Public Hearing and Consideration of Resolution R-63-07, modifying Appendix H of 1995 Land Use Plan, re: clarifying where neighborhood plans may take place, and dividing McGaw Park Neighborhood into two planning areas."

Item 6 is a bit of mystery to me since I thought we were considering a moratorium on new Neighborhood Plans until after the Comprehensive Plan is completed. So, why would a division of any neighborhood need to take place now? Perhaps I'll hear the answer tonight.

Agenda item #7 is for "Public Hearing and Consideration of Resolution R-64-07, a resolution to create Appendix I of the 1995 Land Use Plan re: classifying lands within extraterritorial plat review area as established in Ordinance 2007-O-15."

Item 7 was prompted by the proposed subdivision in the Town of Verona refered to as the "Desperate Housewives" Perhaps it should be called "Desperate Developers" since the plans wouldn't be approved based on current standards if this property were in the Cities of Verona or Fitchburg.

Tomorrow: I'll post my Public Hearing remarks on the Blog tomorrow afternoon and you'll be able to add any comments you have to that post.

No comments: